Ankle Sprain Treatment at Comprehensive Foot and Ankle Centers
Treatment for sprains depends on the severity of the injury, as well as other factors. Your personal treatment plan may include elements of the following:
- Continued use of RICE therapy.
- Pain-relieving medications.
- Bracing or taping to support the ankle during healing.
- Immobilization (via a cast or walking boot) if the sprain is especially severe.
- Specific exercises and stretches to rehab the ankle after the injury. It’s important to do these in a carefully controlled manner and according to our specific timetable in order to minimize the risk of re-injury.
In rare cases, surgery to repair torn ligaments may be considered if the sprain isn’t able to fully heal properly. This is more likely if you’ve already had sprains in the past and the joint has become chronically painful or unstable. While surgery has a good prognosis, we generally won’t recommend it unless non-surgical treatment alternatives have been exhausted first.
Your Partners in Foot and Ankle Sports Injury Care
Whenever you injure your ankle, trust our experienced doctors to help you return to stable footing as quickly and safely as possible.
In addition to providing personalized treatment plans tailored to your specific needs, our team will also give you the guidance you need to protect your ankles over the long term. Modifying the shoes you wear, the ways you train or exercise, or even adding custom orthotics are just a few examples of the small changes you may be able to make that can go a long way toward minimizing your future injury risk.
Don’t wait any longer to get the care you need for an ankle injury. Call our team today at (816) 455-1155, or complete our contact form to request an appointment at one of our six convenient locations.